Happy New Year everyone!
Over at On The Homefront, LouAnn is hosting her second New Year’s Eve blog party, yay! As we did last year, Neil and I have again recorded a little song especially for the party. I’m posting our song here too, called Long Island Expressway, but do hop over to On The Homefront and join in with the party there! I’m only really joining in the singing on the chorus, but in between you can watch my moves…
I would also like to share a lovely idea I heard about recently, as an alternative to those pesky New Year’s resolutions. Get yourself a jar…
…and then starting on January 1 and throughout the year, every time something good happens to you, write it on a little piece of paper, date it, and put it in the jar. Think broadly about what constitutes good things:
- The achievement of a goal.
- Something that made you laugh hysterically.
- An unexpected phone call or visit from an old friend.
- A fun day out.
- Something great your kids said or did.
- A nice compliment you received.
- A moment of clarity.
- The pleasure you felt when someone close to you had something great happen.
- The discovery that scientists have developed a new kind of chocolate that looks, feels, and tastes exactly like the real thing but is actually just made of air and water.
So fill your jar with all these good things, and then on December 31, open it up and read them all. I know this idea is a little sappy for me, but I always tend to get a little sappy around New Year’s Eve.
Wishing you all a jar full of good things for 2014!