A bit of frivolity today. I’ve seen a few bloggers doing this ’10 on Tuesday’ thing. My understanding is that it started out with people asking 10 specific questions on a Tuesday, which others then answered on their own blog. Other people seem have adopted the theme of 10 on Tuesday by just doing their own random 10 things on a Tuesday. I may have completely misunderstood the whole thing, but I’m going to go with it anyway and do 10 facts about me that you probably don’t know (unless you’re one of my close friends, in which case you will certainly know some of them).
1) When I was 6, I lived for a year up in the French Alps with just my mother and another family. We were away from society, completely self-sufficient with no electricity/plumbing etc. I have a very good memory of my childhood and will probably write more about this experience at some point.
2) In 1982 I won Junior Miss Pontin’s whilst on a school trip, hence the photo at the top of this post. I’m pretty sure it was the socks that swung it for me
3) When I was in my late 20s/early 30s I lived in Las Vegas for four and a half years. During that time I appeared in a few TV adverts for casinos.
4) During an actual performance of a play I was in a few years ago, a fellow actor accidentally stamped on my hand on stage and broke my finger. I carried on through the rest of the play with my finger swelling, my fingernail hanging off, and blood dripping all over the stage (what a trooper eh?).
5) One day in the mid 90s, a big black limo pulled up to where I was standing and the driver got out to ask me directions. Whilst I was speaking with him, the windows of the limo rolled down and inside were the five Take That boys! They started calling out comments to me and laughing (not unkindly, just messing about). I turned into an absolutely pathetic girly giggling mess who completely lost the power of speech.
6) My Dad (an electronics engineer) taught me to wire a plug when I was 8 years old. I don’t think he knew that I used to go around the house unwiring and rewiring plugs to practise after that.
7) I am allergic to Quorn (yes that’s Quorn, not corn). Or I should probably say intolerant rather than allergic. This is a strange thing for me because I have a strong stomach and can eat anything. I have never been allergic/intolerant/sensitive to anything, yet if I eat even a small piece of Quorn I develop unbelievably excruciating stomach pains.
8) When I was working as a PA on the outskirts of NW London in my 20s, the Managing Director one day asked me to take his car to go and collect a VIP visitor from the train station which was a few minutes drive away (when I say VIP, it’s not anyone you would have heard of, but he was a VIP in the industry we were in). I was a bit nervous, partly because the visitor was a bit of a legend in our game, and partly because I was driving the boss’s big flashy expensive car. After picking him up, I took a wrong turn and ended up on an unfamiliar one-way system which then took me onto a motorway. We drove for many miles up the motorway, where I developed a nervous and slightly hysterical laugh that went on for an uncomfortably long amount of time. When we finally exited the motorway I was completely lost. Almost 2 hours later we made it back to the office. I’m pretty certain that at some point during the drive, the visitor genuinely became concerned that I was some insane woman who had kidnapped him.
9) When I was a child I used to share ice-cream cones with my cat. I would hold it and we would lick a side each for a while. Then I would twist it round so that we could each have a lick of the other side. She liked strawberry best.
10) When I was about 3 or 4 years old, on several occasions I stole a tub of margarine out of our fridge at home and then took it up to my room where I proceeded to eat my way through it with a spoon (I told you I had a strong stomach). It took my parents a while to work out where the margarine kept disappearing to. They eventually found a stash of empty margarine tubs in the wendy house in my room and soon after that a lock appeared on the fridge.
Oh, is that the 10 done already? And I was having such fun.