Last year I posted Five things I do that I wonder if you do too. Here are some more things I do that I wonder if you do too…
1) When watching cookery contests on TV, I worry unnecessarily that the food has probably gone cold by the time the judges get to taste it.
2) If I’m reading a book while out in public, I always read a bit faster than usual in case someone is watching and might think I’m a slow reader (no idea why I think they would care, or why they would be timing me, or what scale of average page read times they would be measuring me against, or what would happen if I fell short).
3) I always feel the need to apologise for my unkempt appearance to any unexpected person who knocks at my door to deliver something, sell something, or attempt to religiously convert me. “Oh, sorry my hair is a mess, only the cat kept me up half the night and so I slept in a bit later than usual, but I am going to wash it later before I go out – my hair that is, not the cat, the cat can wash itself.”
4) I make clothing purchase choices based largely on whether it is something I’ll be able to get away with not ironing.
5) I often have suspicions that I eat a lot more than other people do.
6) I use my knife as a mirror in restaurants to check I haven’t got spinach in my teeth.
7) I buy Christmas presents for my pets, and then won’t tell anyone what I bought unless I’m sure the animals are out of earshot.
8) If my chair squeaks, or a floorboard I’m standing on creaks, or anything else makes a sound that is even vaguely fart-like, I will deliberately remake the sound lots of times in a row, exaggerating the physical gestures required to make the sounds, just to be absolutely sure nobody else around could possibly think that I actually DID fart (the fact that they might think I’m completely nuts obviously doesn’t bother me).
Anything ring true for you here? Any quirky things you do that you wonder whether others do too?